Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Lighter version of Paula Dean's Shrimp ad Grits by her son Bobby Dean for his show, "Not My Mama's Meals".
- 1⁄4 cup Canadian bacon, diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, canned, petite-cut, no-salt diced
- 1⁄4 cup white wine, dry
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, plain and nonfat
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails on
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking polenta, uncooked
- 3 cups water, hot
- 1 tablespoon chives, fresh and chopped for garnish (optional)
- Add the bacon to a nonstick skillet and saute over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onions and bell peppers.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, yogurt, hot sauce and salt, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the sauce begins to thicken, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the skillet.
- Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn bright pink and are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy cast-iron skillet, add your polenta and allow it to toast for about a minute.
- Add the hot water and slowly whisk the polenta and water together.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve the shrimp mixture over the polenta.
- Sprinkle with the chives if desired.
- Cook's Note: If your Canadian bacon doesn't render enough fat to saute your vegetables, add a teaspoon of olive oil.