Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From Evelyn Tribole's "More Healthier Homestyle Cooking." Calories, fat and cholesterol were reduced by eliminating the oil for cooking the spinach, using fat-free cottage cheese in place of full-fat cottage cheese, and eliminating the butter. Note (my addition), vegans can create a substitute for cream cheese by straining soy yogurt to make a soy cream cheese (pour freshly made soy yogurt into two layers of cheesecloth fitted into a strainer. Next, tie up the ends to form a bag and hang the bag over your sink or over a pot for a few hours. When it has stopped dripping and is spreadable) or by mashing a block of tofu with a fork and mixing in a few teaspoons of lemon juice. When time is tight, potatoes may be cooked in the microwave according to manufacturer's directions.
Top Review by loof
This is a really tasty potato! Never put cottage cheese in a potato before and it worked quite well. I used fresh spinach, otherwise made as directed. The cheese mixture seemed a bit "soupy" at first but by the time I had split open the potatoes it had thickened up and was fine. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 4 large potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese or 1 cup soy cream cheese
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated (1/2 cup, may substitute vegan parmesan substitute or Vegan Parmesan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Pierce the potatoes in several places with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a large skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, or until wilted.
- Stir in the cottage cheese (or soy cream cheese substitute) and the Parmesan cheese (or vegan parmesan), and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the Parmesan melts.
- Cut a 1-inch to 2-inch X in each potato and squeeze to open slightly. Divide the stuffing among the potatoes.