Entered for safe-keeping. From Evelyn Tribole's "More Healthier Homestyle Cooking." Calories, fat and cholesterol were reduced by eliminating the oil for cooking the spinach, using fat-free cottage cheese in place of full-fat cottage cheese, and eliminating the butter. Note (my addition), vegans can create a substitute for cream cheese by straining soy yogurt to make a soy cream cheese (pour freshly made soy yogurt into two layers of cheesecloth fitted into a strainer. Next, tie up the ends to form a bag and hang the bag over your sink or over a pot for a few hours. When it has stopped dripping and is spreadable) or by mashing a block of tofu with a fork and mixing in a few teaspoons of lemon juice. When time is tight, potatoes may be cooked in the microwave according to manufacturer's directions.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Pierce the potatoes in several places with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a large skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes, or until wilted.
- Stir in the cottage cheese (or soy cream cheese substitute) and the Parmesan cheese (or vegan parmesan), and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the Parmesan melts.
- Cut a 1-inch to 2-inch X in each potato and squeeze to open slightly. Divide the stuffing among the potatoes.
This is a really tasty potato! Never put cottage cheese in a potato before and it worked quite well. I used fresh spinach, otherwise made as directed. The cheese mixture seemed a bit "soupy" at first but by the time I had split open the potatoes it had thickened up and was fine. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Very good! I changed a few things based on what I had: I used fresh spinach and an italian cheese blend with parmesan, romano, asiago and mozzrella. It was simple, delicious and very filling. Thank you, I'll be making this again!
I love baked potatoes, cheese, garlic and spinach...so it was easy for me to love this recipe. I added some freshly ground pepper. I will make again. Delicious! Made for VEGN Swap 8.