Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have a full fat version of this posted, this one is equally as good and safe for weight watchers. I came up with it on the weight watchers website and if serving 4 people it is 5 points per serving.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni in boiling (not salted) water until al dente.
- Drain macaroni, place back in pot and add the sour cream, stir well.
- Add the tomatoes to the noodles and mix.
- Add the cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons of the parmesan and stir until well mixed.
- Pour noodle mixture into square casserole dish.
- Mix the remaining parmesan and bread crumbs and sprinkle on top of the casserole.
- Bake until bubbly and brown (20-30 minutes) and enjoy!
for a low fat version it was a lot better that i had thought. My kids loved it. I would agree with adding a little seasoning. i did use low fat sour cream its not so runny but i thought the fat free cheddar was great. i will be making this again!!!
I was very pleasantly surprised by this recipe! As long as you're not looking for the typical mac and cheese dish, I think you'll be pleased too. I did think that one shouldn't be stingy with the herbs and spices, especially when you're making a lighter version of the original recipe, so I added some garlic (2 cloves minced) and italian herbs (1+ teaspoon) like Red Chef's full fat version. For the topping I used parmesan flavored breadcrumbs as that was what I had in the refrigerator. Instead of fat-free cheddar I used low-fat, but I think the fat-free cheddar would have been good too. BF and I ate 2/3 for supper with a vegetable side and I finished the rest for lunch the next day (with lots of hot sauce, what I usually put on my macaroni and cheese). Thanks Red Chef Mama for a great recipe and for helping us watch our weight:) P.S. Forgot to say that instead of fat-free sour cream I used fat-free Greek yogurt.