Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe I found on simplyrecipes.com. To make it diabetes friendly, I cut back on the oil and replaced the sugar with Splenda. I also swapped one cup of the flour for whole wheat flour so that it won't cause such a blood sugar spike after eating it. The prep time is an estimate. I seem to be slow with prep, but you may find that it doesn't take as long as it takes me.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 cups zucchini, grated and squeezed dry (about 1 pound)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Prepare two 4x9-inch loaf pans, either coating with butter or spraying with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and rosemary.
- Beat the eggs in a mixer (or by hand) until frothy. Beat in all of the applesauce. Beat in the melted butter and olive oil. Beat in the Splenda. Stir in the lemon zest and grated zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, a third at a time, stirring after each incorporation.
- Divide batter/dough into two loaf pans.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Test after 40 minutes. If you gently press down on the surface of the loaf, it should bounce back, and a bamboo skewer inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool for a few minutes and then remove the loaves from their pans to cool on a rack.