Recipe by Bergy
I don't think this recipe is as good as some Moussaka but if is lighter than most recipes and still tasty. Six ounces of ground lamb serves 6 persons, not bad.
Top Review by OhMyStars!
I thought it tasted pretty good, however, as far as I'm concerned, it just isn't moussaka without some tomato! Oh well, it was fairly easy to make despite the long list of instructions, and for anyone not addicted to tomatoes, it would make a terrific main dish I'm sure. The only change I did make was to use almond milk, since we don't keep cow's milk in the house. I really don't think that made any difference though. I really liked not having to salt and drain the eggplant, and I will play with this a bit since it really seems to be a healthy version. Thanks for posting it!
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices (or 3 zucchinis, cut in 1/4-inch slices)
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth, sodium reduced preferred
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 6 ounces ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour (add a bit more if you want the sauce thicker)
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the sauce: melt margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour, cook stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Add milk and broth, stirring until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Spray a medium baking dish with veggie spray.
- Spray a large skillet with veggie spray add eggplant (zucchini) and the beef broth.
- Cook over medium heat stirring until tender about 8 minutes.
- Remove eggplant and broth.
- Spray the pan again and add the onions and garlic; cook until golden, add lamb.
- Cook stirring until no longer pink about 10 minutes.
- Drain off any fat and add feta, parsley and mint.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spoon half the eggplant into the prepared dish.
- Top with the lamb mixture.
- Then add remaining eggplant.
- Pour sauce over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve.