Recipe by FoodExplorer
I used the Hershey's cocoa recipe for a starter and made adjustments for this much healthier version. It is made with no oil, only one egg and has loads of taste. For my birthday earlier in the year, I tried to make a healthy chocolate cake, and it was so bad I had to throw it away. I don't think anyone would be throwing this one away :) It is very light and fluffy, full of chocolate flavor and for many, many fewer calories. Oh, and did I mention it's dairy-free as well?! Update: I tried reducing the sugar amount even more to 1/4 cup, but it resulted in a more spongy texture, rather than the fluffy you get using 1/2 cup sugar.....just wanted to post, for all those out there like me trying to see how much sugar could be eliminated ;)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (this will help keep the cake fluffy, and besides, sugar burns off faster than fat!)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I always use less salt than the recipes call for)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease and flour two 9" round (or square!) pans.
- Mix the Splenda through the salt ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add in the egg and egg whites, vanilla, soymilk, 1/2 cup water, and applesauce; mix well until all ingredients are well blended.
- Pour in boiling water and stir.
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, checking five minutes before done, just in case :) Make sure a fork comes out clean when inserted into cake.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, then remove to cool completely.
- Frost if desired, but I find this nice enough just by itself!
- Hope you enjoy :).