1/4 Photos of Lighter Hershey's Chocolate Cake
I used the Hershey's cocoa recipe for a starter and made adjustments for this much healthier version. It is made with no oil, only one egg and has loads of taste. For my birthday earlier in the year, I tried to make a healthy chocolate cake, and it was so bad I had to throw it away. I don't think anyone would be throwing this one away :) It is very light and fluffy, full of chocolate flavor and for many, many fewer calories. Oh, and did I mention it's dairy-free as well?! Update: I tried reducing the sugar amount even more to 1/4 cup, but it resulted in a more spongy texture, rather than the fluffy you get using 1/2 cup sugar.....just wanted to post, for all those out there like me trying to see how much sugar could be eliminated ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar (this will help keep the cake fluffy, and besides, sugar burns off faster than fat!)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I always use less salt than the recipes call for)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1Heat oven to 350*.
- 2Grease and flour two 9" round (or square!) pans.
- 3Mix the Splenda through the salt ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 4Add in the egg and egg whites, vanilla, soymilk, 1/2 cup water, and applesauce; mix well until all ingredients are well blended.
- 5Pour in boiling water and stir.
- 6Pour batter into pans.
- 7Bake for about 30 minutes, checking five minutes before done, just in case :) Make sure a fork comes out clean when inserted into cake.
- 8Cool 10 minutes in the pans, then remove to cool completely.
- 9Frost if desired, but I find this nice enough just by itself!
- 10Hope you enjoy :).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter Hershey's Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.2
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 387.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 5.4 g