Spicy Gal's Note:
From New Mexico magazine, a delicious and simple dish. (The black olives were not in the original recipe, but we like to add them.) For extra indulgence on occasion, serve with slices of avocado and/or sour cream!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chilies ("Ortega")
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 lb reduced-fat cheddar cheese or 1/2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can sliced black olives (optional)
- 1Boil chicken breasts in broth and water until tender (about 15 minutes).
- 2Allow the breasts to cool, then shred them into small pieces and put them back into the hot broth and water.
- 3Add the chopped onion, chiles, garlic and salt to pot; simmer all together for 10 minutes.
- 4If mixture is too thick, add some more broth (or water) so there is enough liquid to soak tortillas in, one at a time.
- 5One by one, soak six tortillas in liquid and use them to cover the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
- 6Cover with chicken/chile mixture, olives and cheese; repeat once, starting with tortillas, ending with cheese.
- 7Place pan in a warm (about 375 degrees) oven until cheese melts.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 971.7
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 156.3 mg
- Sodium 3710.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 74.1 g