Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lighter on the fat and cholesterol, heavier on the veggies. This is my favorite combo, but the possibilities are endless! Omitting the bacon saves even further on fat, and makes this dish vegetarian. Serves 4 as a main dish, 6 as a side.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and wrung of liquid
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 7 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄3 lb muenster cheese, grated
- 2 pieces turkey bacon, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Spray a 10-inch springform pan with non-stick spray and place on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with foil.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon (if using) and cook until crisp, turning occasionally. Remove to paper towel to drain. Wipe skillet clean.
- Heat oil in skillet over med. heat. Add onion and mushrooms and saute until browned (5 min). Add garlic and spinach and cook for 1 minute more, breaking up the spinach. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat eggs in bowl. Add cheese and crisped bacon (if using). Stir in flour.
- Stir veggie mixture into egg mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour into springform pan, spreading top evenly.
- Bake until top is browned and tester (I use a toothpick) comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.