Entered for safe-keeping. From Heart-Healthy Living by BH&G, Winter 2008.
Make and share this Lighter Coconut Macaroons recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg white and salt with electric mixer until it holds soft peaks.
- Fold whipped whites into coconut mixture.
- Using a teaspoon, drop small mounds of mixture, measuring about 1 1/2 inches (3.81 cm) in diameter, about 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) apart on the prepared sheet.
- With slightly wet fingertips, pinch the mounds to make them slightly narrower and taller, about 1 inch (2.54 cm) tall with a slightly pinched top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, rotating the sheet from back to front after 10 minutes.
- (Some coconut shreds on top will be dark brown.) Slide the parchment off the cookie sheet and onto a wire rack.
- After 10 minutes of cooling, remove the macaroons from the parchment with a thin metal spatula, and place them directly on the wire rack to finish cooling.