Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. From Heart-Healthy Living by BH&G, Winter 2008.
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg white and salt with electric mixer until it holds soft peaks.
- Fold whipped whites into coconut mixture.
- Using a teaspoon, drop small mounds of mixture, measuring about 1 1/2 inches (3.81 cm) in diameter, about 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) apart on the prepared sheet.
- With slightly wet fingertips, pinch the mounds to make them slightly narrower and taller, about 1 inch (2.54 cm) tall with a slightly pinched top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, rotating the sheet from back to front after 10 minutes.
- (Some coconut shreds on top will be dark brown.) Slide the parchment off the cookie sheet and onto a wire rack.
- After 10 minutes of cooling, remove the macaroons from the parchment with a thin metal spatula, and place them directly on the wire rack to finish cooling.
Really good macaroons! I made them bigger than the recipe stated and got 15 cookies. They have the perfect amount of sweetness; I also drizzled a litle melted chocolate on some for DH and they were good too! Made for 123Hits.
Very tasty macaroons here. Maybe I had thought that they would be bigger and or fluffier, but all in all a very tasting cookie. I did get the full 32 cookies out of my batch, The kids want these made again, so I will oblidge. Made for New Zaar Tag.