Recipe by Little Bee
I used to always make these with shortening and milk chocolate but I found a lighter version using Canola Oil(rich in monounsaturated fats)instead of shortening(mostly saturated fat) and when I made these for New Years Eve not only are they lower in fat but I think the dark chocolate(also lower in fat) really better enhances the flavor of the strawberries. I came across this while searching for appetizer's for guests watching their weight. My guest's have yet to try them but I have sampled one and they are fabulous!Great to serve during the Holidays, at Showers, or Wedding.
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chips (or milk)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, with leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and oil, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Holding them by the toothpicks, dip the strawberries halfway into the chocolate mixture.
- Do not completely cover Strawberries.
- Place on a cookie sheet and let strawberries chill and set in refrigerator until ready to serve.