Recipe by Jami Robin
I put this recipe together one day and really loved it! I used skim milk, whole wheat penne pasta, and Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend to make it a little healthier yet still creamy and satisfying! Next time I might add some mushrooms to add some more flavor. Special note: I prepared all of the penne but ended up leaving about two servings out because I like a more saucy pasta.
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) package whole wheat penne
- 1 -2 boneless chicken breast
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup Smart Balance Omega Plus
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (more or less according to taste)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package directions while preparing the sauce.
- Cut chicken up into cubes and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and chicken to the skillet and saute until chicken is cooked through.
- Add tomatoes to skillet (do not drain) and simmer.
- Add flour one tablespoon at a time to milk and mix until smooth with a fork or small whisk.
- Pour milk/flour mixture into the skillet and allow to simmer until thickened. If sauce is too thick, add a little more milk at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Add baby spinach to sauce and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add parmesan cheese to sauce.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce and mix.
- Serve hot and enjoy!