Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came from Everyday Food by Martha Stewart, November 2008 edition.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- Bring 1 inch of salted water to a boil in a pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add chicken and cover, reducing heat to medium-low. Simmer the chicken for 5 minutes, then remove pan fom heat. Let chicken steam, covered for 12 to 14 minutes, until properly cooked throughout. Place chicken in a medium bowl and shred.
- To make sauce, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour, cumin, and chipoltles. Whisk while cooking for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and 1/2 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat until mixture is at a simmer. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes while whisking occasionally until sauce is slightly thickened. Season to taste. Combine 1 cup sauce with chicken and toss.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread 1/4 cup sauce into the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish and set aside. Stack tortillas and wrap them in a layer of damp paper towels; microwave them for one minute. Remove paper towels and fill each tortilla with chicken mixture. Roll them and arrange them in dish, seam-side down. Cover tortillas with the rest of the sauce and top with the cheese. Bake until hot and bubbling, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
WOW! These were so good. I'm not a lover of enchiladas but this sauce was amazing. I used leftover chicken from one I roasted yesterday and doubled the amount of chipotles. My fiance said he wanted it spicy and he got what he wanted. It had some HEAT! But in a good way. I also added a small onion and sauteed it with the garlic. Next time I will probably double the sauce though, I like a little extra. But this is definitely the best enchilada recipe I have tried. Thank you so much.