1/1 Photo of Lighter Chicken and Biscuits (Oamc)
This is a recipe I adapted from Martha Stewart's Everday Food. It is a stovetop version of a classic southern casserole. I am usually suspicious of so called "quick" versions of classics and even more so of "light" adaptations, but this one was right on the money. The texture and flavor are reminiscent of Boston Market chicken pot pie. There is no cream of chicken soup and you can have dinner on the table in about 45 minutes. The original recipe called for whole wheat biscuits, but I made Bisquick biscuits with melted butter generously brushed on top (makes a golden brown crust). This recipe would be delicious with turkey and can be made with cooked chicken or turkey as well. This recipe can easily be doubled for OAMCers as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus 1 or 2 additional tablespoons if needed
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 5 carrots, sliced diagonally about 1/4-inch thick (about 1 cup)
- 5 stalks celery, sliced diagonally about 1/4-inch thick (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 3In a large bowl, combine baking mix and milk with a fork or your fingers. Mix until combined.
- 4Knead 10 times until dough becomes smooth. It will still be sticky. Do not overknead as this will make the biscuit tough.
- 5Turn dough out onto a board or counter dusted with more baking mix (I use a sheet of waxed paper or parchment taped to the counter for easy cleanup) and gently roll dough out to 1/2" thick.
- 6Cut with a 3" round cookie cutter dipped in baking mix. Gather and gently reroll scraps.
- 7Put into a greased pyrex or ceramic casserole pan or a baking sheet lined with a silicone sheet (silpat) or parchment. Biscuits can touch and can be pulled apart after baking. Brush tops generously with butter, allowing some to drip in between.
- 8Bake 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
- 10In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium high heat, add onions, celery, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 11Sprinkle 2 tbs of flour on vegetables. Stir in milk, water, and half of the chicken broth, and thyme. Simmer until liquid has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add more chicken broth and rest of flour to your preference.
- 12Add chicken, Simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- 13Serve piping hot over fresh biscuits.
- 14Note: If you have never used thyme, I encourage you to try it in this dish. It has a light and fresh flavor that enhances the flavor and gives the chicken a homestyle chicken soup flavor. If you have fresh, use two to three sprigs. If you don't have thyme, dry parsley will work nicely too. I would not substitute rosemary because it is too strong.
- 15OAMC: double chicken recipe. Freeze biscuits covered on a cookie sheet, then wrap individually and pack in resealable bags. When reheating the chicken, add a bit of chicken broth if it is too thick.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter Chicken and Biscuits (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.6
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 122.5 mg
- Sodium 1754.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 49.7 g