Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
We love Carbonara, but not all the fat that comes with it. Here is my version that is a little lighter. (compare to "regular" carbonara with 35 + grams of fat and 650mg + grams of sodium per serving). It's not the same as regular carbonara, but it won't kill you!
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup ham, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- Boil spaghetti per directions, al dente.
- In frying pan, heat olive oil.
- Add ham and red pepper flakes and saute about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
- Mix in wine, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the 2 egg yolks with about 1/2 cup of hot pasta water.
- Drain spaghetti and add to the frying pan and toss well.
- Add the egg mixture to the frying pan and toss well.
- Toss all with romano cheese.
- Serve with a nice salad or some fruit.