Here it is - the perfect lower-fat biscuit recipe. I was pleasantly surprised when I first tried this recipe and found it to be light and flakey like the more deadly ones.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Process for about 2 seconds.
- Drop the margarine pieces on top of the flour and process for about 8 seconds.
- The mixture will be the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Do not overprocess.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Alternatively, cut the margarine into the flour using a pastry blade, 2 forks, or your fingertips.
- Stir the buttermilk into the dry ingredients with a fork just until combined.
- When the biscuit dough holds together, drop it by large spoonfuls onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are puffy and lightly browned.
- Serve them immediately.