Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
These bran muffins use wheat bran, not cereal, are much less dense, and more moist than any that I've had in the past - not to mention reduced in fat, calories, and sugar.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup non-fat soymilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 12 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute (1/2 cup equivalent)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup blueberries (or other berries, fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375F; prepare muffin pans by spraying tin with fat-free non-stick spray (do not use paper liners as the muffins won't rise as much).
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; beat in milk, oil, applesauce, molasses, sugar, Splenda cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir in bran; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir in berries.
- Add to egg mixture, folding with a spatula just until combined; do not overmix.
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin cups, filling right to the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 22 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch; do not overbake or muffins will be dry and tough.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool on rack.