Recipe by Mary Anne
This is an easy recipe that I make a lot.....perfect comfort food - without the guilt! I love having leftovers of this to take to work.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef sirloin steaks
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat sour cream or 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat sour cream
- 3 cups hot, cooked egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the beef into thin, bite-sized strips (this is easier if the beef is slightly frozen).
- Cook mushrooms, onions, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat until unions are tender.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Brown the beef in the skillet.
- Stir in 1 cup of the beef broth, the salt, and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat.
- Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- This is a good time to prepare the noodles if they are not already cooked.
- After 15 minutes, stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth into the flour, then stir into the beef mixture (minimizing lumps).
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic mixture.
- Stir and heat to boiling.
- Boil and stir for one minute.
- Stir in the sour cream and serve over noodles.