Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
from everyday food
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, and cocoa powder. Cook, stirring, until mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef, and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (with their juice) and beans. Bring to a boil over high; reduce to a simmer, and cook until chili is slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with toppings, if desired.
Made 1/2 the recipe for DH and I and served it over macaroni noodles with cheese on top. This has a great flavor with just a few seasonings. I did add about 1/4 cup tomato sauce because it was a little thick for our taste. Great chili, will make again! Made for Fall 2012 PAC.