Recipe by IAteMyGluestick
Using heart-healthy ingredients, you can enjoy a healthful meal without sacrificing flavor. From Cooking Light.
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 18 cooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 lb low-fat turkey breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) canorganic crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare stuffing, combine 1/4 c boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl, let stand 20 minutes or until tomatoes soften. Drain and finely chop. Combine tomatoes, mozzarella, and next 6 ingredients (though egg) in a food processor, process until smooth. Spoon 2 tablespoons stuffing into each shell. Set aside.
- To prepare sauce, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers, and garlic and sauté 6 minites or until tender. Place onion mix in a bowl.
- Coat pan with cooking spray, return pan to heat. Add sausage and cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add wine and cook until wine is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Stir in onion mix, tomato paste, and next 5 ingredients (through tomatoes), and bring to a simmer. Cook 25 minutes or until sauce is slightly thick.
- Spread 2 cups sauce over bottom of a 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer and top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle two tablespoons parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until bubbly.