Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Insired by Ellie Krieger, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/sloppy-joes-recipe/index.html
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup great northern bean, preferably low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, about a dash
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray and cook the onions till they're fragrant and begin to brown.
- In a larger skillet, brown the meat for about 5 minutes. Drain as much fat from the meat as possible.
- Add the cooked onions, garlic and diced pepper. Cook the mixture for about 5 more minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Simmer until the mixture thickens. Serve 1/2 cup of mixture on hamburger buns and enjoy!