This is a lower calorie version of Lemon-Chicken Velvet Soup, from TOH Cooking for 2 publication, spring 2008. Insetad of the heavy cream, I subbed milk and fat-free cream cheese, making it a little more "brothy" but very tasty nonetheless. You can substitute canned white meat chicken breast for the chicken here.
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat margarine
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (or regular flour)
- 2 1⁄2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 9 ounces sugar snap peas
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Spray treat a medium soup pot with non-stick cooking spray, and heat over medium. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pot, melt margarine. Stir in flour, and then slowly add chicken broth, stirring out the flour chunks. Add lemon juice. Bring to a boil, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, peas, parsley, optional salt, and lemon peel. Cook 5-7 minutes, until chicken is heated through and peas are starting to tender.
- Reduce heat and add milk. Heat for 2-3 minutes, and add cream cheese. Heat through and stir until cream cheese is melted. Do not boil.
You say add milk, but you don't give the amount?????