Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Mostly inspired from Irish Mashed Potatoes With Cabbage, this is a mixture of champ and colcannon recipes that I have tried, and lightened up.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, halved
- 6 cups chopped cabbage (1 10oz bag)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup reserved cooking water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine potatoes, cabbage, garlic, and bouillon powder in a large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Put mixture in a large bowl and mash. Add cream cheese, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper, chopped green onions, and reserved cooking water. Mash and mix well.
- Spray a large glass casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into dish, cover, and bake for 30-45 minutes.