Recipe by LUv 2 BaKE
A delicious spicy, very moist almost sponge-like sweet cake. Very good as is, with ice cream, or iced.
Top Review by Sue1111
We did not like this recipe. It was spongy and had a total lack of ginger flavor. Will not make again. I also agree that the recommend baking time was too long. My cake was done after approximately 1/2 the time. I agree that it was totally rubbery texture.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, molasses, and egg.
- In a glass measuring cup measure 1/2 cup hot water (or heat up cool water in the microwave until hot but not boiling).
- Add the baking soda to the hot water, stir.
- Add the soda and water mixture to the bowl of ingredients. Stir until mixed.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 9X9" baking dish.
- Bake at 350F for 30 - 35 minutes.