A delicious spicy, very moist almost sponge-like sweet cake. Very good as is, with ice cream, or iced.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, molasses, and egg.
- In a glass measuring cup measure 1/2 cup hot water (or heat up cool water in the microwave until hot but not boiling).
- Add the baking soda to the hot water, stir.
- Add the soda and water mixture to the bowl of ingredients. Stir until mixed.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 9X9" baking dish.
- Bake at 350F for 30 - 35 minutes.
We did not like this recipe. It was spongy and had a total lack of ginger flavor. Will not make again. I also agree that the recommend baking time was too long. My cake was done after approximately 1/2 the time. I agree that it was totally rubbery texture.
The recommended baking time was too long for my usually slow oven, so I will reduce the time when I make it again. The whole family liked it.