- 2 medium eggplants (about 2 1/4 lbs. total)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups prepared low-fat marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim tops and bottoms from eggplant. Cut each into 6 lenghtwise slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Spread slices onto 2 large cookie sheets lined with paper towels. Sprinkle slices with 1/4 teaspoons salt, then turn over and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoons more salt. Let stand 15 minutes, flipping slices halfway.
- Heat grill, grill pan, or saute pan to medium-high heat. Quickly rinse eggplant slices under running water;pat dry. Spray both sides with nonstick cooking spray. Grill or cook slices until soft, about 4 minutes on each side. Return slices (do not overlap) to large cookie sheets (without paper towels).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup of the mozzarella, the ricotta, egg yolk, Italian seasoning and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Divide red pepper pieces evenly among eggplant slices, placing them going across the width on the wider end of each slice. Top each pepper with a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling. Place 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish. Roll up eggplant slices starting at the wide end and enclosing filling. Place in dish. Top with remaining 1 cup marinara sauce, remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Add salt to taste.