1/3 Photos of Lightened up Eggplant ( Aubergine) Rollatini
This is easy to make and healthier than most other versions. You don't have to be a vegetarian to love this. This is adapted from FC magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants (about 2 1/4 lbs. total)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 1/2 cups prepared low-fat marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Trim tops and bottoms from eggplant. Cut each into 6 lenghtwise slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Spread slices onto 2 large cookie sheets lined with paper towels. Sprinkle slices with 1/4 teaspoons salt, then turn over and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoons more salt. Let stand 15 minutes, flipping slices halfway.
- 2Heat grill, grill pan, or saute pan to medium-high heat. Quickly rinse eggplant slices under running water;pat dry. Spray both sides with nonstick cooking spray. Grill or cook slices until soft, about 4 minutes on each side. Return slices (do not overlap) to large cookie sheets (without paper towels).
- 3Heat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir together 3/4 cup of the mozzarella, the ricotta, egg yolk, Italian seasoning and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- 4Divide red pepper pieces evenly among eggplant slices, placing them going across the width on the wider end of each slice. Top each pepper with a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling. Place 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish. Roll up eggplant slices starting at the wide end and enclosing filling. Place in dish. Top with remaining 1 cup marinara sauce, remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and the grated Parmesan cheese.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Add salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lightened up Eggplant ( Aubergine) Rollatini
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.5
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.8 mg
- Sodium 1451.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning
low-fat marinara sauce