Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I wanted a lighter cottage pie (cottage pie being made with beef and shepherd's with lamb) so I came up with this.
- 250 g extra lean ground beef
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 29.58 ml tomato sauce (ktchup)
- 4.92 ml dried Italian herb seasoning
- 177.44 ml green peas (I use frozen)
- 236.59 ml water
- 19.71 ml brown gravy mix
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 350 g potatoes, chopped into chunks (2 medium)
- 300 g pumpkin, peeled and seeded, k chopped into chunks
- 9.85 ml butter (I used light Logicol)
- fresh ground pepper
- 29.58 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Put the meat, celery, carrot, onion and garlic in a heavy based frying pan and cook over medium heat until the meat changes colour and the veg are softened-this took about 10 minutes.
- Add the sauces, herbs and water; bring to the boil and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Add in the peas for a few minutes.
- Mix the gravy mix with a tablespoon or two of extra water, then stir this through the meat mix.
- Allow it to thicken and cook for a couple more minutes, then remove from the heat and stir through the half teaspoon of black pepper and the chopped parsley.
- Pour into a 6 cup baking dish.
- Meanwhile while all that was happening, you should have cooked your potatoes and pumpkin in a pot of lightly salted water until tender (this should take about 20 minutes).
- Drain and mash with the butter and salt and pepper.
- Top the meat mix in the baking dish with the mash and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in a moderate oven until bubbling, golden and heated right through.
loved it. it smelt so fantastic when it was cooking. dh thought it was very yummy.