Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A variation of this classic dish that ups the protein and cuts the fat.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- Pound chicken breasts if they are too thick.
- Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks.
- Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides.
- Add the broth.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter.
- Blend the cornstarch with the milk in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet.
- Cook, stirring until thickened.
- Add fresh basil.