Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
Bechamel is a wonderful white sauce that you can add on top of pasta, chicken, etc. dishes. It usually consists of butter and cream so this version is much lighter but with all the flavour. I like to use it on pasta instead of alfredo sauce. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (I like a bit more)
- 1 dash paprika
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
- In a small saucepan, add milk. While whisking, slowly add in flour. When blended, add salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and and stir in parmesan.
I keep coming back to this recipe for bechamel. The best!
This is a wonderful sauce! I didn't miss the fats at all. The parmesan gave the sauce great texture, and I added a little more. I put this over some chicken roll-ups to which I'd added spinach. Very, very good. Thank you Nif for another wonderful recipe! Made for Chef's Pick at one of KK's forums.
Using a combination of the other reviewer and the chef;s suggestions, I used this to make a chicken alfredo pizza (sauce, italian herb chicken in thin strips, a sprinkkle of mozzarella, topped with basil and a bit of parmesan after baking). This was delicious and fits right into our trying to be healthier lifestyle! Thanks for posting! made for PRMR tag game December 2009.