Adapted from Cooking Light. If you prefer a different flavor cheese, then you may substitute whichever type you prefer, just so long as it is real cheese and not reduced fat. This recipe has already reduced the fat a lot from typical versions, and the amount of the cheese is just enough to give the taste and texture of the real real thing without going overboard. Also - if you are not watching your fat/calories, by all means use whole milk and butter if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rub garlic halves all over the inside of a medium sized casserole (an oval dish or an 11x7" pan); discard garlic or save for another use.
- Grease pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place half of the potato slices in the pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoons margarine.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/16 tsp pepper, then top with half of the cheese; repeat.
- Bring milk to just a boil over low heat in a small pan; then immediately pour into the casserole.
- Bake,uncovered,for 40 minutes or until potatoes are soft.