Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is not my recipe!! Just my substitutions for Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese @ http://www.recipezaar.com/Fannie-Farmers-Classic-Baked-Macaroni-and-Cheese-135350 The recipe for the cream sub. is: Very Diet Friendly Low Fat Low Cal Substitute for Cream @ http://www.recipezaar.com/Very-Diet-Friendly-Low-Fat-Low-Cal-Substitute-for-Cream-269311?
- 5 1⁄3 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
- 8 teaspoons skim milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package macaroni
- 4 tablespoons light butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- First you will need to made a cream sub. out of the 8 teaspoons of milk and the cottage cheese. Place both ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. Set in fridge until it is needed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter.
- Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- Pour milk and cream sub. in gradually; stirring constantly.
- Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Turn off flame.
- Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- (You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use - once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer - I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.
What a great recipe!! The folks I made it for absolutely loved it!! I didn't get to try it until the following day, I will probably increase the amount of cream substitute the next time I make it. As well, I will probably just mix the milk and flour before adding it to the butter next time. I think the lighter butter made the roux turn into a ball instead of smoothing out for me. The cottage cheese and milk for the cream I thought was brilliant, I will probably use that in other recipes. Thanks!!
Best mac and cheese that has been made in my house! Everyone enjoyed it and it was all gone in one sitting! Will double the recipe next time for left overs.
Made this for the mac-&-cheese-lovin' couple next door & they did go for it in a big way! I made only one change in that I used toasted/dried crumbs from some nutty, whole grain bread that I always have on hand! Then, holding back with a small 2-serving casserole for right here, your recipe passed our taste-test with flying colors! Many thanks for sharing it with us! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]