1/1 Photo of Lightened Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This is not my recipe!! Just my substitutions for Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese @ http://www.recipezaar.com/Fannie-Farmers-Classic-Baked-Macaroni-and-Cheese-135350 The recipe for the cream sub. is: Very Diet Friendly Low Fat Low Cal Substitute for Cream @ http://www.recipezaar.com/Very-Diet-Friendly-Low-Fat-Low-Cal-Substitute-for-Cream-269311?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First you will need to made a cream sub. out of the 8 teaspoons of milk and the cottage cheese. Place both ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. Set in fridge until it is needed.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 3Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- 4In a large saucepan melt butter.
- 5Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- 6Pour milk and cream sub. in gradually; stirring constantly.
- 7Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- 8Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- 9Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- 10Turn off flame.
- 11Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- 12Transfer macaroni to a greased baking dish.
- 13Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 14Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- 15(You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use - once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer - I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lightened Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.4
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 685.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 22.2 g