This is not my recipe!! Just my substitutions for Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese @ http://www.recipezaar.com/Fannie-Farmers-Classic-Baked-Macaroni-and-Cheese-135350 The recipe for the cream sub. is: Very Diet Friendly Low Fat Low Cal Substitute for Cream @ http://www.recipezaar.com/Very-Diet-Friendly-Low-Fat-Low-Cal-Substitute-for-Cream-269311?
- First you will need to made a cream sub. out of the 8 teaspoons of milk and the cottage cheese. Place both ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. Set in fridge until it is needed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter.
- Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- Pour milk and cream sub. in gradually; stirring constantly.
- Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Turn off flame.
- Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- (You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use - once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer - I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.