Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Lower-fat version of do-ahead potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese. My lightened version of my sister-in-law Kim's potatoes, which are everyone's favorite at Thanksgiving.
- 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 (3 ounce) packages neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- Boil potatoes and garlic cloves until potatoes are tender; drain. Mash potatoes and garlic until there are no lumps.
- Add remaining ingredients except butter. Mix again and let cool.
- Put in removable crock of crock-pot. Refrigerate up to several days.
- On serving day, heat in crock-pot on low for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until heated through.
- Can be frozen before heating in crock-pot. For a smaller crowd, freeze half and serve the other half.
Now that I have defrosted and eaten this I am adding the stars. We found it dry but with good flavor. Would probably benefit from gravy too. I had put it in 2 containers. One we ate tonight with tuna steaks, peas, and cinnamon apples. I think I'll use the other container for potato cakes. --------Made and put in the freezer. Rating without stars so I will be able to find it later to rate, once I defrost and cook it. Looks great, though. I used russet potatoes and all reduced fat sour cream as I noticed, too late, that the only yogurt I had was vanilla.