Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From April 2007 Cooking Light.
Make and share this Lightened Chicken Pot Pie (With Phyllo Crust) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups red potatoes, diced (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat; add oil. Add potatoes, onion, mushrooms, celery, carrot, parsley and thyme, and saute for about five minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; sprinkle flour over vegetables. Cook for another five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in milk and chicken broth. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer five minutes, or until thickened.
- Add chicken, peas, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place one phyllo sheet on a large work surface and lightly spray with cooking spray. Repeat layers with cooking spray and remaining phyllo. Place phyllo layers loosely on top of mixture in dish.
- Place dish on baking sheet and bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until top is golden.
This came out delicious! I made pie crust instead of phyllo dough because I didn't have any. But the filling was very yummy yet not as thick as I am used to in pot pie probably because of the skim milk. My husband who says he doesn't like pot pie even liked it and my 20 month old gobbled it up! Also, the filling was enough to divide into two 9inch pie pans and freeze one for later.
This was certainly enjoyed at my house. My 3 year old daughter wanted to help me put on the phyllo so she could call it her own pie. She ate 2 pieces! I loved the addition of the phyllo dough instead of the crust. Made for a light flaky crust and the flavors from the thyme and veggies along with the other ingredients was really nice. Excellent Pot Pie KLH!