The original recipe for these brownies was submitted by Chef Karen =^..^=. I tried this recipe for the lighten up game. I substituted the butter with an equal amount of applesauce to try to lower the fat content. WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT is what you add in. Like 1-2 cups of chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, m&m's, nuts, raisins or whatever you like. I did not include any in this recipe so you would what the nutritional values were before adding in whatever floats your boat! The original recipe had 180 calories and 9.9 grams of fat.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray an 8 inch square pan with cooking oil.
- In a medium bowl mix applesauce and cocoa until the cocoa is dissolved.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time until well combined.
- Stir in vanilla, flour and salt until you can no longer see the flour.
- Do not overmix!
- Fold in WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT.
- Put in pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Do not overbake or your brownies will be dry. If you do the toothpick test it should come out with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.