Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is a light, slightly sweet wheat bread that is moist and a high riser. I fix this in my dough cycle in my bread machine and bake in my regular oven.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vital gluten
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Put the ingredients in your bread machine as directed by the manufacturer.
- Make sure gluten is mixed thoroughly with the flour.
- Hit "dough" cycle.
- Form into loaf and place in a 8x4 loaf pan.
- Let rise, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
We really like this bread. It holds together very well for sandwiches. I did make 2 changes. I used olive oil in place of the shortening (I don't want my kids to have the trans fats) and I increased the vital wheat gluten to 1 tablespoon. I make 2 loaves every other day (I have 7 kids). This is one of our everyday breads. Thanks for sharing this recipe.