Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful vegetarian chili with barley for texture. This recipe is so easy because it uses a lot of canned ingredients, and the fresh avocado takes it over the top!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies (Ortega style)
- 2⁄3 cup cooked barley (follow package instructions)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canchopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 avocado
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic and green chilies, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with the fresh sliced avocado, sour cream, and cheddar cheese.
This really was super and oh so easy to make! I used 2 tsps. Penzey's Chicken Taco Spice and stewed Italian tomatoes (adding 1/4 cup v-8). I thought it was like a hearty homemade vegetable soup. The barley really makes it substantial tasting. Thanks chef- I'll be making this often. Roxygirl