Recipe by Likkel
My daughters enjoy tuna noodle casserole, but not the calories, so here is a version that is more diet friendly.
Top Review by amandahjensen
Used maybe 1/4 c mayo, and mixed the parmesan and bread crumbs with 2-3 T of butter to help with browning. This was a great combination and it worked without needing extra tweaks. Came out of the oven and looked like the pictures from cookbooks. Has the taste of a company meal. Used regular-fat items versus low fat, and the taste was great.
- 6 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked
- 6 ounces canned tuna, drained
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimientos, chopped or 1⁄4 cup red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions, celery and peppers until onions are transparent.
- Add all of the ingredients (except the noodles and parmesan) and heat over medium until the cheddar melts.
- Add the noodles, mix well, and turn into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese and an equal amount of dried bread crumbs, if you would like. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes.