Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My daughters enjoy tuna noodle casserole, but not the calories, so here is a version that is more diet friendly.
- 6 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked
- 6 ounces canned tuna, drained
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimientos, chopped or 1⁄4 cup red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs (optional)
- Sauté onions, celery and peppers until onions are transparent.
- Add all of the ingredients (except the noodles and parmesan) and heat over medium until the cheddar melts.
- Add the noodles, mix well, and turn into a greased 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese and an equal amount of dried bread crumbs, if you would like. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes.
Very good! I used regular cream of mushroom so it wasn't as fat free but I find the fat free ones are sweeter. The parmesan was a nice touch
This is one of those great comfort food recipes (but with a nice lighter touch!). It is creamy and flavorful. My husband loves this version and asks for it often. It is a good meal to prepare in the morning, refrigerate and then bake in the evening for a quick and tasty dinner when I'm on the run.
This is a simple and delicious recipe. The flavors blend well together and is seasoned perfectly. I used bottled roasted red peppers. Be sure you have celery, because no tuna casserole is complete w/out celery ... sadly, I used all mine in another recipe didn't realize just how much of a difference it makes (well, at least for me) :( We enjoyed it just the same. Thanks Likkel. :)