Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lower calorie version of a wonderful dessert. You don't have to be a coffee lover to like this one!
- 5 tablespoons Kahlua or 5 tablespoons other coffee-flavored liqueur
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 6 tablespoons fat-free hazelnut-flavored nondairy liquid coffee creamer
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 13 5⁄8 ounces fat-free pound cake, cut into 16 slices
- unsweetened cocoa (optional) or chocolate shavings (optional)
- Combine liqueur, 1 T sugar, water, and espresso powder, stirring until sugar and espresso powder dissolve.
- Sometimes a particular make of espresso powder is harder to dissolve so I usually dissolve that in very warm water before adding the other ingredients.
- Spoon 2 T mixture into a medium bowl; set remaining mixture aside.
- Add remaining sugar and creamer to 2 T liqueur mixture in bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add cream cheese; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Place a cake slice in each of 8 wine glasses or 8 (4 oz) custard cups.
- Brush cake generously with half of the reserved liqueur mixture.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over cake.
- Top with remaining 8 cake slices.
- Gently press slices into glasses.
- Brush cake with remaining liqueur mixture.
- Sprinkle evenly with cocoa or shaved chocolate if desired.
- If I am not having company or am in a hurry I just layer the cake and liqueur in a large glass bowl and then cut individual pieces for each person.
- It ends up looking like a four tiered dessert that way.
- I have also cut very small pieces from the cake in the big bowl and then layered those into a wine glass.