Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is from Cooking Light magazine ... and I keep losing it, so am posting it here. Uses lots of zucchini, but gives a much lighter bread than traditional ones where you don't squeeze out the moisture. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 3 cups zucchini, shredded
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Press zucchini between several layers of paper towels. set aside.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, walnuts, and next 6 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Add zucchini to wet mixture, stir.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Divide batter evenly between 2 loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle each with 1 T sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pans on wire rack, remove from pans to cool completely.