Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Originally from Cooking Light, I think. This is a great soup for those of you that love tomato's like I do! Perfect for the cold weather months when you want something a little different than the canned tomato soup.
- 4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- 8 slices diagonally cut French baguettes (1/2 inch thick slices)
- Bring tomato and juice to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- Place tomato mixture and basil in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper.
- Add cream cheese, stirring well with a whisk, and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes).
- Ladle soup into individual bowls; garnish with sliced basil, if desired.
- Serve with bread.