Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Another tasty dish from Better Homes and Gardens: Family Favorites Made Lighter.
- 12 ounces beef round steak, trimmed and cut into 4 serving portions
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated to make rings
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Spray a large, cold skillet with cooking spray.
- Preheat over medium.
- Brown meat on both sides.
- Add undrained tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, 1/3 cup water, thyme, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Set aside.
- Cook or reheat rice at this time.
- In a small mixing bowl mix the 1 tablespoon water and 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- Stir into the tomato mixture, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook 2 minutes more.
- Serve over hot rice.
this was great.
This was very good, but I ended up with enough vegetables left over to make stew (sans meat, of course). The sauce never really thickened up much either, though I boiled it a good 10 minutes after adding the cornstarch. I think I'd halve the amount of tomatoes next time and/or leave out the 1/3 cup of water.
mmm this is a good one!! but did you really mean 4 servings?? that would be a 3 ounce steak, we found it perfect for 2 servings!! I added a couple of things, a few mushrooms I needed to use up, 1 teaspoon of dry mustard and I had no celery in so I added some snap peas. Instead of thickening it with conrstarch, I decided to stir in the cooked rice for the last 5 minutes of simmering, rather than serve it over the rice. We will be making this one again, we enjoyed it very much, thanks for sharing a keeper. — Nov