1/1 Photo of Light Summer Potato Salad - Leichter Kartoffelsalat
magpie diner's Note:
Years ago, my German step-Grandmother gave me a book of German cooking. This is from that book, which was published in 1969. "Light" in this case has managed to hold up for 40 odd years. I changed the original recipe to include veggie stock instead of chicken, and added some fresh chives to the finished salad for a little extra colour. Update: After making it for the first time, I found there was far too much salt put in at a time when there is no going back...so I adjusted that down. Also adjusted down the amount of olive oil (orig called for 1/3 cup), and added some additional directions regarding the potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 medium potatoes (boiling potatoes, waxy like yukons or red)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard (ideally Dusseldorf style or hot)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1Prepare the potatoes by scrubbing them clean, but not peeling. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil, drop the potatoes in - there should be enough water to cover them. Boil them briskly until they show only the slightest resistance when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. (about 20 minutes). You don't want to overcook them or you won't be able to slice them. TEST - take out your largest potato and cut it in half lengthwise, check for doneness.
- 2Drain the potatoes -- let them cool enough to handle them, then peel (use fingers or gently use knife, cut out brown bits as you go). Cut each in half lengthwise and then into 1/4 inch slices. Set the slices aside in a bowl and cover tightly. There will be a small amount of carry-over cooking here.
- 3In a heavy pot combine the diced onion, veggie stock, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occassionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the olive oil and lemon juice.
- 4Pour the sauce over the potato slices. Coat evenly by turning with a spatula. Let the potatoes cool to room temperature, mix in the fresh chives, adjust salt & pepper and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Summer Potato Salad - Leichter Kartoffelsalat
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.6
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 339.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar