LEGG Gustafson's Note:
Lighter Sugar Cookies from The Best Light Recipe from Cooks Illustrated. I am posting this, so I don't misplace it. This includes optional ingredients for lemon or almond versions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (reduce vanilla extract to 1 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, processed until finely ground with 1/3 cup sugar
- 1Adjust oven racks to middle postion, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil or parchment paper.
- 2Whisk the flours, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 3Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and one cup of the sugar together at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 min.,scraping down the sides as needed. Add the egg and vanilla (and 2 tsp.lemon zest or 1/2 tsp.almond extract) and continue to beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 to 60 seconds. Add flour mixture and beat until combined, about 30 to 60 seconds more.
- 4Place remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a shallow bowl, (with optional lemon zest or almonds.) Working with a level tablespoon of dough each time, roll the dough into balls. (If the dough is too soft refrigerate until firm.) Roll the balls in the sugar and place on baking sheet 2 1/2 inches apart. (12 cookies to a sheet).
- 5Bake cookies, one tray at a time until edges are golden and centers are just set. (Don't overbake.).
- 6Cool cookies onthe baking sheets for 5 minutes and serve warm or transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.3
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.1 mg
- Sodium 35.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 1.1 g