Recipe by spatchcock
Made this for breakfast today and it was SO filling and wonderful. The eggs are very creamy and flavorful when cooked in this way. This is a phase one South Beach Diet recipe, but you would never guess it! You can also make your own salsa.
Top Review by stormylee
This was really good - and easy on the waistline, too! I used less spinach and just covered the pan and continued cooking after adding the cheese instead of baking in the oven. Also added salt & pepper to the egg mixture. A dollop of medium hot garlic salsa was just the right touch! Thank you for sharing!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced (I diced mine)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk (sold in a can)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded light cheese (I used light Jarlsberg, can use any reduced-fat cheese)
- salsa (for serving)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a 10" nonstick skillet over med heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Beat eggs and milk until frothy, and pour egg mixture over spinach in skillet.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, till egg mixture is cooked on bottom and eggs on top are almost set.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven till eggs are set and cheese has melted, 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with salsa of your choice.