Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an easy to make, great-tasting and low fat coffee cake. I clipped it from my local newspaper.
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar, divided
- 8.62 ml ground cinnamon, divided
- 3.69 ml ground nutmeg, divided
- 1.23 ml ground cloves, divided
- 2 medium sweet apples
- 473.18 ml buttermilk baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml milk
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a measuring cup, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoons cloves.
- Halve and core apples; peel one of the halves and finely chop; thinly slice remaining 3 apple halves.
- In a large bowl, combine baking mix, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, remaining 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg and remaining 1/8 teaspoons cloves.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients, beating until combined, about 30 seconds (batter will be lumpy).
- Stir in the chopped apple; spread batter in prepared pan.
- Arrange appple slices over batter, overlapping slightly.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
This was very good. I was looking for a Saturday morning recipe that would take the place of something like a donut! This fit the bill. I used Heart Smart Bisquick, 1% milk with scant 1Tbl.lemon juice (to make "buttermilk"). **And, the directions don't tell you but the reserved sugar and spices (in step 2), I think go on top of the apples. Also, I used brown sugar in the part that went on top. I'm not even sure you needed 1/4 cup brown sugar...I think the next time I may reduce that a bit. I put my ingredients into "Calorie Count" and dividing the 8x8 pan in 9 pieces, I came up with 196 calories total fat 5.0 grams total fat, 8% of daily value. Truly making this a LIGHT recipe. Also, I'm pretty sure this baked for about 40 minutes.
Whole family loved it. Will make it again.