Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Food Network Magazine
- 1 medium poblano chile, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- sour cream or Mexican crema, optional for serving
- Preheat the broiler. Put the poblano cut-side down on baking sheet and broil until the skin is browned in spots, about 5 minute Transfer to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool 5 minute Peel the skin off the pepper then chop into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Lightly butter a 2 quart baking dish. Heat 2 T butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 5 minute Add the potatoes, chicken broth, 1 1/2 t salt, and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to med and cook, stirring gently, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minute.
- Arrange half the potato-broth mixture in the baking dish in an even layer. Sprinkle with half each of the roasted poblano and parmesan. Repeat with the remaining potato-broth mixture, poblano and parmesan. Bake until bubbly and slightly golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand 15 min before serving. Serve with crema if desired.