Recipe by foxysnana
A lowfat version of a classic comfort food dish.
Top Review by h.glenda
I guess they're ok for low fat. My husband just found out his cholesterol is way too high, so I am trying to cut out the fat, although I did use a little cheese. I baked exactly as directed and the potatoes were still a little crunchy even though they were sliced thin. DH liked it though.
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups skim milk
- low-fat cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange potatoes and onions in layers in a baking dish.
- In a heavy saucepan or in the top of a double boiler, heat the milk.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt, pepper and enough water to make a paste.
- Add to milk.
- Cook until thickened, stirring with a whisk.
- Pour milk mixture over potatoes and onions.
- If desired, sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- Sprinkle paprika on top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.
- Uncover and bake 25-30 minutes longer.