Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lowfat version of a classic comfort food dish.
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups skim milk
- low-fat cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Arrange potatoes and onions in layers in a baking dish.
- In a heavy saucepan or in the top of a double boiler, heat the milk.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, salt, pepper and enough water to make a paste.
- Add to milk.
- Cook until thickened, stirring with a whisk.
- Pour milk mixture over potatoes and onions.
- If desired, sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- Sprinkle paprika on top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.
- Uncover and bake 25-30 minutes longer.
I guess they're ok for low fat. My husband just found out his cholesterol is way too high, so I am trying to cut out the fat, although I did use a little cheese. I baked exactly as directed and the potatoes were still a little crunchy even though they were sliced thin. DH liked it though.
Very yummy. It reminded me of how my Mom makes scalloped potatoes. But lighter. This does take time to cook but it is well worth the effort. I didn't use the cheese only because I'm trying to cut calories. I figured this to have 3 WW points. I did cut the recipe in half and it worked great in my smaller pan. Thanks for posting. :)
Very good! A little more work than the other scalloped potatoes I use to make, but those never turned out as nice as these. Thanks so much for posting! We'll definitely have these again!