Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
That's right -- a lighter version of scalloped potatoes. No cream or cheese but lots of taste. When I make this, I put it in a couple of casseroles, cook it and freeze. An easy side for a quick week night meal.
- 12 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I like Youkon Gold)
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups boiling chicken broth
- In 2 well greased casserole dishes, layer potatoes, onions, salt and pepper.
- In saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook until blended.
- Add chicken broth, cook until boiling and thickend.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered at 350* for 50 minutes.
It couldn't have been simpler to make and it was delicious.
I made a few small adjustments but this recipe turned out great! Instead of using all chicken stock, I used half stock and half skim milk to add some creaminess. I also baked the dish a little longer because I sliced my potatoes by hand and they weren't super thin. The finished product was wonderful! Creamy potatoes with a lovely brown crust. I'll certainly be making this again!
I don't know if I did something wrong but my potatoes seemed to be drying out and the sauce was really thick I added a couple slices of butter and a little bay seasoning half way thru and these potatoes turned out great I was not so much going for the light as I was for scalloped wihtout cheese so I thought this was a great starter receipe.. Thanks so much!