3 hrs 55 mins
This doesn't use a "starter" and so can be made a little more on demand that the breads where it may take a week or longer to make a starter. It also uses some whole wheat flour as well as rye flour making this loaf is a little "lighter". You can leave out the caraway seeds if you prefer a bread without them. Read the directions thoroughly...I was confused the first time I read through as the flours are added at different times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large heat-proof bowl or stand mixer bowl, pour scalded milk over butter, sugar and salt. Stir and cool.
- 2Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water. Add softened yeast and 3 c of the rye flour to the milk mixture. Either beating by hand or with the paddle attachment of the stand mixer, beat thoroughly. Add the remaining rye flour and beat again until the flour is thoroughly combined.
- 3Scrape dough out into a greased bowl, cover, rise in a warm place until doubled; about 1 hour.
- 4If using a stand mixer, scrape dough back into clean bowl and using the dough hook, knead in the whole wheat flour and the caraway seeds until smooth. If you are doing it by hand knead the wheat flour and caraway seeds on a well floured surface.
- 5Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 oblong or round loaves. Place on parchment lined or greased baking sheets or in 9x5 loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled- about 1 hour.
- 6Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush loaves with with beaten egg white . Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake 35-40 minutes.
- 7Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- 8For a tender crust, brush with butter about 5 minutes before removing from the oven.
- 9Store in an airtight container. Can be frozen.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Rye Bread With Caraway Seeds
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.4
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 4.3 mg
- Sodium 93.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g