1/1 Photo of Light Rye Bread
2 hrs 35 mins
This is a very tasty Rye bread recipe that I found in a Kitchenaid forum. The flavor is full without being overpowering. I love the taste of caraway, so I always add a little more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the honey and the warm water, add the yeast in stir until dissolved.
- 2In separate bowl mix together molasses, salt, butter, caraway, and boiling water. stir until dissolved together. Cool a few minutes till lukewarm.
- 3Add yeast mixture to the molasses mixture.
- 4Mix in rye flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Mix until well blended.
- 5Mix in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm and sticks together.
- 6Knead 5-10 minutes until ball is smooth.
- 7Place in greased bowl, turning dough so that greased side is up. Cover with towel or cloth and let rise in warm place away from drafts about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
- 8Punch down and divide in half. Roll out one half with a rolling pin, then roll up dough tightly to form a loaf. Pinch under ends and place in greased loaf pan. Repeat for other half.
- 9Cover with cloth and let rise 35-60 minutes or until double in bulk.
- 10Bake 350 F for 30-45 minutes. Cover with foil last 15 minutes of baking if loves brown too fast. Loaves are done when they sound hollow when tapped. Rub butter over loaves as soon as removing from oven if desired.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1552.9
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2491.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 318.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.9 g
- Sugars 59.8 g
- Protein 36.4 g