Recipe by auntchelle
The best way to describe rock cakes are as an ugly, cake-like, drop cookie. They have a lovely light texture with a crisp outer. I have altered the traditional recipe to include cranberries. These serves are pretty large. Australian measurements used.
Top Review by Derf
DH loved these, I felt they were a tad dry but tasted good with all the fruit. They were nice and crunchy on the outside and soft inside, just like you said! I subed splenda for the sugar on top, worked out nicely Thanks for posting.
- 473.18 ml self raising flour
- 118.29 ml sultana
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 59.16 ml reduced fat margarine (60g)
- 118.29 ml skim milk (or low fat soy milk)
- 2 egg whites
- cooking spray
- 9.85 ml sugar, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C (fan forced oven).
- Sift flour into large bowl then add remaining dry ingredients.
- In a microwave safe jug melt margarine. Add milk and combine using a whisk. Add egg whites to this mix and thoroughly whisk.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 12 and drop onto a baking tray coated with cooking spray (or line with baking paper). Sprinkle extra sugar over the top of each cake.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pale golden.